Friday 3 November 2017

Twinkle Twinkle Re-visited

It's always good to go back and tat some of one's old patterns.  This one is a free one I wrote in 2013 (available in the "Patterns" section, tab above).


The smallest one on the left is tatted exactly as per the pattern.  I wasn't sure if I liked how the chains from the first round made nearly a circle around the centre ring.  I thought I'd prefer them to be a bit more pointy, like the outer chains...  So I added a few stitches... and then a couple more...

And now it looks like this:

What do you think?  Maybe I should just provide both versions on the pattern and people can choose?


Actually, looking at them again, the first original one looks a bit like those stars you trace in one go without lifting your pen, you know, where the lines cross in the middle?  I think adding those few stitches makes them look quite different.

Doing the ring at the tip as a SCMR gives that nice pointy shape to the chains.  If you were to make a normal thrown ring, the chain would be rounded.

This little star is very quick to make... I love sending people snowflakes in their Christmas cards... if you're short on time, you could make this one!  :-)

I'll try to update the pattern shortly.

Best wishes,
Frivole

9 comments:

  1. Both look fabulous!!! :)
    And I can see what you are saying about making the star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made several of these when you first gave the pattern, and I bring them out each Christmas to put on my tree. I like the effect of the inner circle, but it's interesting to see an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I've just been working on updating the pattern just now and I'm adding this different stitch count so both versions will be on the pattern.

      Delete
  3. We all had great fun tatting Twinkle, Twinkle at the Twin City Tatters retreat in July! I was lazy and just tatted a thrown ring. You're right, it does give a more rounded look. I like your updated version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's cheating Diane! SCMRs are not hard to make and I do really like the pointy shape they create when that's what I'm trying to achieve... and I always feel a star should be pointy! :-)

      Delete
  4. Those few stitches are enough to make look like a completely different star! I love it! The only pattern is extra special to me now after our Twin Cities Tatters' retreat. It was our theme pattern and we made a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Surprising isn't it how much those few stitches really change the look. I'm nearly done updating the pattern, it will be available very soon (same link as before). :-)

      Delete
  5. Beide Versionen sehen hübsch aus. Dieser Stern findet bei mir auf Karten Anwendung und ist schnell gemacht

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always loved this snowflake, look forward to the update

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!